Photo
- - - - -

What is a "fork lift support" in a long lumber/ply base?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 altaylor

altaylor

Forum Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

I am designing a long lumber and plywood base with 4-way entry. Client has long tooling that needs to be fork lifted from the end to get it on the transport truck. Needs 13' x 4'. I selected the MPO-59 style which is a skid only.

I am using the MPO-59 Crate Pro style as my cargo is a piece of aircraft tooling... not much weight, but the diagram of the best style I can find specifically says "Not intended for 4-way (end) entry unless skid is constructed to support forklifting by use of forklift supports or use of a heavier deckboard." I can't find any online reference to forklift supports.

I need to deliver this to the client this week. All help is appreciated.

#2 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

A forklift support is yet another ambiguous item in crating terminology. It's not an actual component but is an implied purpose of a component.

It's simply one or more deckboards that are strong enough and fastened well enough to support the container from a particular End when lifted from that End from underneath.

Because many bases can be filled with 1x or plywood, a "forklift support" would be used by bolting some 2x or larger lumber as required to assure the container or skid can be lifted from one or each end.

If you refer to pages 83 and 84 of the Mil-C-104 spec you'll see an reference to them. They don't have an official name in the industry which is part of the problem in finding more info about them.

HTH

Jeff Duck
WoodenCRATES.org
Administrator

#3 altaylor

altaylor

Forum Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Jeff. That clears it right up. I can specify the number of heavier lumber pieces in the design and put them where I want them (probably near the side fork lift spaces as that is about where their forks would end.) I imagine carriage bolts to the runners or lags would do...

#4 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

I don't know the weight or load type you have but typically with a skid you'll want to have a hex or carriage bolt. With that length a forklift operator could try to lift it from one end and push it. That would cause most of the weight to be supported by one member.

This type of handling situation is why there's the disclaimer on the Style. On a small skid the Headers could take all the load while on a large one, you could better assume forklift operators would level the forks under the skid to distribute the load. It sounds like the size you're working with is kind of inbetween.

Jeff Duck
WoodenCRATES.org
Administrator

#5 Marcel

Marcel

• Moderators
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Another Method to strengthen the Base for Forklift entry is to Use High Tensile Steel Strapping and wrap around the end of the top base and the bottom Rubstrip. When Forklifts enter from the end of the base the bottom of the forks (Heal) will push down .
As For the Tips of the Forklift they will push up... using the same Idea... Add a Rubstrip where the forks will end and Strap around the Top of the base and the Rubstrip.
See attachment strapping skid.jpg

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users