2 replies to this topic

#1 Hugo

Hugo

Forum Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hi,

We have a Customer that orders a lot of boxes. Each box has a specific serial number that has to be written on it. Actually, we do that manually but, my Professional conscience would like to paint these numbers. We made some tests with stencil letters and numbers but we're losing to much time placing each symbols. We found some machines over the net that can do the job but it's too expensive.

How do you guys perform this task rapidly and professionnaly without spending too much time thus too much money? Any solution out there?

Thanks.

#2 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Welcome to the WCO forums Hugo,

When I saw your post my first thought was that there had to be some not-so-hard solution but I did some looking and didn't find anything that seemed to make sense.

I'm not familiar with stencil cutters but maybe pre-cut a series of numbers into a full stencil sheet then cutting up the sheet for one-time use.

If labels can possibly be considered, they could be made more permanent by applying Silicate of Soda (Sodium Silicate) over the label to make it last about as long as the wood. You can get it in liquid form for about $35/gallon.

Hope that helps. Please post back with what results you come up with. This is an interesting and probably not too uncommon problem in the industry.

Jeff Duck
WoodenCRATES.org
Administrator

#3 Hugo

Hugo

Forum Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi Admin,

Notice the capital ''A'' in admin...lol.

Thanks for the idea. We've come up with a kind of varnish. We're gonna test something similar to silicate sodium. We thougth of a silicate sheet, like they use with projetctors in kid's classes. Then apply it to the crate and sprayed a layer of some kind of varnish. We found a machine that can produce the silicate sheet with letters and numbers almost like a P-touch.

I will check for silicate sodium maybe it's a better idea than varnish. I'll let you know the test results.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users